Monday, December 17, 2012

Blog Reflection

The end of the semester is here, and that means class reflection and evaluation time. I must say I feel this blog assignment added a lot to my class experience. First of all it's great to have such  unique homework assignment for a math class, it makes the class less boring, as for as math classes go. Most students don't like long lists of problems to do for required homework, I know I don't. The blogs were a great alternative. In relation to the focus of the class, the practical teaching techniques, it helps see math in a different way. Up until this point I've looked at math from the student's point of view, I know my opinions on math (not a fan) and the critical thinking the blog posts give are really helpful in thinking like a teacher. I don't know if I'll continue blogging, but I enjoyed the experience.  As far as the idea of using it in my own classroom, I feel the critical thinking behind some of the posts may be more appropriate for older students, secondary and high school. I'm more geared toward english, so I feel I may be a bit harsh.

All in all I think the blogs were a great contribution to the class. It really shows how math doen't have to be all arithmetic problems. It's a great opportunity to think differently and creatively and I feel I gained a lot, though I don't think it would be appropriate for an elementary setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment